Skip to main content

FAQs for January Admits

Spring 2020

Welcome, new First-Year Spring Admits and Transfer Students!

This page will be updated for Spring 2020 residents in the coming months as information is received.

Please refer to the information below for answers to frequently asked questions.

How do I apply for housing?
Visit How to Apply. First-Year Spring Admits can apply for housing beginning October 15, 2018. January Transfer students can begin applying on October 1, 2018.

How are housing assignments made?
Spring housing assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis as spaces become available, and according to applicants' preferences as indicated in the housing application. First-Year Spring Admits (FYSAs) entering at the beginning of the spring semester are guaranteed on-campus housing. For incoming Transfer students, every effort will be made to accommodate applications for on-campus housing on a first-come, first-served, space-available basis.

When can I move in?
New FYSA and Transfer students should plan to move in to their residences the morning of Wednesday, January 16; classes begin on Tuesday, January 22.


When do Orientation activities begin?
Information about Orientation can be found by visiting New Student Programs.

How do I find my building?
You can find a searchable campus map here.

Where should I check in?
When you arrive on campus, you should check in and pick up your keys at the Service Center or House Office that serves your building. We recommend you planning your arrival to coincide with your Service Center / House Office hours. If you arrive outside of office hours, you should call your on-call residential staff person to let you into your room; his or her contact information will be posted at the building's entrance.

What will my building / community be like?
You can find a webpage devoted to your community on either Residence Halls, West Campus House System, or Program Houses.


What community rules will I be expected to follow?
Visit Community Rules and Standards.

What will be provided in my room / suite / apartment?
Visit Housing Amenities.

What should I pack?
Visit What to Bring for suggestions about what to bring … and rules about what to leave behind.

Can I bring my car to campus?
We suggest that new students leave their cars at home. Traffic and parking are restricted on campus; mostly you'll be walking or using public transit. If you do plan to bring a car, you must register it with Transportation Services and pay a parking fee.

How can I contact my roommate(s)?
Log in to the Housing Portal using the steps you used when signing your housing contract. Then go to the "Application Status" page (the link can be found at the top right of the Application menu), where you will find the screen name(s) of your assigned roommate(s) / suitemates / apartment-mates. To view a roommate's profile, click on the "View Profile" button. To send them an email, click on the "Send Message" button.

Can I ship items to my room ahead of Opening Day?
Yes. Cornell's preferred vendor is Big Red Shipping & Storage, a student-run agency. If you mail any packages yourself, please make sure items are clearly marked with your name and mailing address; you can pick up these mailed packages at your Service Center or House Office.

Is storage space available?
Not on campus. Big Red Shipping & Storage, Cornell's preferred vendor, also provides storage service.

How will I access the Internet? What about phone and television service?
Please refer to Internet, Phone, & Television Service for details.

Will I have laundry facilities in my building?
There are washers and dryers in each residence or complex. Payment for use of washers and dryers is through a Campus Life debit account accessed with your Cornell ID card - with the exception of 112 Edgemoor, which has coin-operated washers and dryers. Learn more here.

Should I sign up for a meal plan?
Most new students eat most or all of their meals in Cornell Dining's 29 eateries. We recommend signing up for a meal plan before arriving on campus, so you can start taking advantage of its benefits and saving money from day one. Please keep in mind that living in the West Campus House System includes a commitment to purchasing the House Meal Plan. Learn more about all of your meal plan options here.

When does my meal plan begin? Cornell Dining meal plans begin at 4:30pm on Tuesday, January 15. If you arrive on campus before that time, you can still eat in Cornell Dining eateries, using Big Red Bucks or credit card.


Can I cook for myself in my building?
There are communal kitchen facilities - including a microwave oven - in all residences. Dishes, utensils, and cookware are not provided; you should bring your own. Cooking is NOT permitted in residents' rooms, nor are freestanding microwave ovens, except for in the Townhouse apartments. Residents may rent an approved microfridge (combined refrigerator and microwave) for use in their room. If you choose to purchase your own, please make sure it draws no more than 7.3 amps (700 watts) to start and 1.5 amps while running.

What will my mailing address be?
For almost all residents, your on-campus address will be as follows:
Your Name
Building, Room Number
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853

Please make note of the following exceptions:
Ecology House: 1 Country Club Road, Room Number, Ithaca NY, 14850
112 Edgemoor: 112 Edgemoor Lane, Room Number, Ithaca, NY 14850
Schuyler House: 112 Sage Place, Room Number, Ithaca, NY 14850
Cooperative Houses: Street Address, Room Number, Ithaca, NY 14850

Which Service Center or House Office will I use?
Please visit Your Service Center.

Are residences smoke-free?
Yes, completely.

What accommodations can be made for Shabbat observers?
Many main doors to Cornell's residences are secured with electronic card access. If you are a Shabbat-observant Jewish student or need key accommodations for other religious reasons, please visit your service center to sign out a key.

Will I need personal property insurance?
Cornell does not insure your personal property. You will want to make certain that you cell phone, laptop, clothing, and other personal property items are covered for incidents that result in damage or loss of your belongings. If you are not currently covered under a policy with your family, consider Cornell University's preferred personal property insurance provider, Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.  Participation in this plan is optional, but strongly encouraged. Find out more here.

Where can my parents stay overnight?
You can find a list of local hotels, motels, and inns here.

Where can I find more information?
You may contact the Housing & Dining Contracts Office, or your community's residential staff.

footer silhouette