The instructions below are meant to lead current undergraduate students through the process of signing up for the General Housing Lottery and participating in Housing Selection to reserve a room in an Upperlevel Residence Hall or West Campus House. (Program House spots may also be available during General Room Selection.)
Sign up for Housing in the housing portal to get your General Room Selection timeslot any time between January 21 and February 28.
Does this step apply to me? All current undergraduate students who want to have the option of living on campus next year should sign up for the Lottery. This includes those who are applying to live in a Program House, in the Language House, in a University co-op, or for Continued Occupancy (C/O) in their current building, even though those housing options require a separate application.
Prepare for General Room Selection by following the steps below.
(1) Learn about your housing options. Visit Housing Options for Upperlevel Undergraduate Students. Attend any of the planned housing tours and informational events.
(2) Decide if you want to live with friends. Up to six students may choose rooms together in a block. Note: You may only join one block at a time.
(3) If living with friends:
(4) Receive your timeslot. Timeslots will be emailed after 2:00pm on March 4. Timeslots are randomly generated, and there is no advantage or disadvantage to blocking. Everyone in the block will receive the same timeslot. Make a plan for your group to gather at one computer, if possible, during your block Room Selection timeslot so your group can choose your room(s) together.
(5) Familiarize yourself with the General Room Selection system. Attend a Room Selection Demo, view the Room Selection Tutorial, before your timeslot.
(6) Review bed availability reports and floor plans. We encourage you to develop multiple housing plans.
STEP 3: During General Room Selection (March 9-11) ...
(1) Log in to the housing portal at the beginning of your General Room Selection timeslot. Block leaders: you should log in for your group at the beginning of your timeslot.
(2) Navigate to the General Room Selection page by clicking on the Undergraduate tab on the Home page, and then clicking 'Continue' next to the '2020-2021 Academic Year' application on the Select Contract Period page. (If you see the Timeslot page, but not the General Room Selection page, refresh after your timeslot begins.
(3) Select a room on the Select Building page. Buildings with current availability are shown.
(4) Click 'Add to Cart' on the Room List page to select a room for yourself. If you are a block leader, add rooms for blockmates before clicking 'Save and Continue' at the bottom of the page.
All currently available rooms in the selected building are shown. Search results are paginated if more than 10 rooms are available in the selected building.
You may refine the search results using the room type or hallway/suite filters.
You may only assign men to male-designated rooms, women to female-designated rooms, and neutral to neutral-designated rooms. Dynamic rooms/suites have their gender change to male, female, or neutral based on the gender of their first person who reserves a bed in the room/suite.
If you are a block leader, you do not need to assign everyone in your block a bed. However, you will not be able to do so later. Anyone not assigned may self-select a bed.
(5) Rooms will be held for four minutes while you complete this and the next step. On the Assign Beds page, assign a bed to yourself. If you are a block leader, assign beds to your blockmates before clicking 'Assign Beds' at the bottom of the page.
If you are a block leader, once you click 'Assign Beds,' you will not be able to change your blockmates' assignments.
(6) Review the assignment(s) on the Confirmation page and click 'Save & Continue.'
If you are a block leader and you wish to cancel and reselect, note that you will only be able to cancel your own assignment and not that of any blockmates you assigned.
(7) Sign your housing contract. If you are a block leader, blockmates you assigned will be automatically emailed and have two (2) hours to log in and sign their housing contracts.
(8) On the Application Status page, review the information. Your application status will be complete if you have an assignment and have signed your housing contract. Click 'Log Out.'
**Each room listed will include information about whether the room is designated as a male, female, neutral* or dynamic* room, and the number of open beds left in that room. During the process, floor plans are viewable online. And you can review Bed Availability Reports updated every 2 minutes during General Room Selection.
*Dynamic rooms/suites have their gender changed to male or female based on the gender of the first person who reserves a bed in the room/suite.
*Neutral rooms/suites are mixed-gender rooms.
Need help during General Room Selection? During all timeslot periods: